Here at The Hospital Group, we aim to encourage easy, practical steps that we can all take to ensure that we are living our best life. Our gastric surgery customers receive advice and guidance from our Weight Loss Support Team as part of their aftercare to ensure that they hit their personal targets in a positive and healthy way. In this blog, we asked just some of our weight loss experts what their top tips are when it comes to nutrition and ensuring that we stay hydrated:
· “The best way to monitor if you are drinking enough fluid is to check your urine colour – it should be pale and straw coloured not dark and concentrated.”
· “A lack of fluid can cause all sorts of general problems such as headaches, tiredness, poor concentration and reduced mental performance – so make sure you drink plenty of water!”
· “Set alarms on your phone to remind yourself to drink or take a 1 or 2L bottle to work with you and ensure to get through this by the end of the day.”
· “Drinking more can help with hunger pangs, as often when you think you are hungry, you are actually thirsty and a drink of water would suffice rather than a snack contributing to excess calories.”
· “Staying hydrated will help to prevent headaches and improve your concentration as well as keeping your skin glowing! If plain water is not your thing then try infusing your water with lemon, lime, mint, cucumber or orange using an infuser bottle.”
· “There are various apps that can be used on your smartphone to track your fluid intake and remind you to drink more.”
· “Our patients undergo surgery to reduce their weight and improve health conditions associated with a high BMI. Some forms of gastric surgery can result in reduced absorption of certain micronutrients.
We help to reduce this risk by including dedicated support for all patients from our team of experienced dietitians who provide advice and support to patients to help them meet their nutritional requirements, reducing the risk of micronutrient deficiencies.”
Whilst weight loss surgery is a fantastic tool which can be absolutely life-changing for so many of our customers – to achieve a healthier BMI and lead a more active lifestyle lowering their risk-factors of many obesity-related health concerns. But as our Principal Dietitian George tells us, after bariatric surgery it is especially important to follow the advice and guidelines to ensure you are getting all the nutrients you need to function properly.
Ongoing support from the dietitians comes in the form of regular telephone calls or face to face appointments where possible for the duration of your chosen weight loss surgery aftercare package.
This includes advice on healthy eating, balanced meals, the correct eating technique, recommended supplements and meal ideas. Ensuring that you feel supported throughout each stage of your journey, and your body receives the essential nutrients it needs.
We know that weight loss isn’t easy, especially on your own. When you’ve tried following a balanced diet and exercising and it’s just not enough, weight loss surgery could be the start of that new lease of a life you’ve been longing for. Together, we can do this!