Cooking up a batch of fresh soup is a great time-saving meal solution as the colder months set in, packed with nutrients and very versatile a tasty soup can spice up any lunch break.
BandBoozled's weight loss experts Nic and Sue understand there's a temptation in Winter to load up on comfort food but their clever recipe ideas mean you can keep it healthy to support your weight-loss efforts.
Why not embrace the spirit of Halloween this October with this gastric-band friendly pumpkin soup – healthy, delicious and a great way to use up all that pumpkin flesh after carving your pumpkin lanterns.
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the bacon till it browns
2. Remove bacon and add onions and carrots to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes or till the onions soften
3. Add the carrots and onion into a saucepan with the stock, lentils, pumpkin, chilli flakes and turmeric and bring to boil
4. Once boiled, reduce heat and simmer for 40-45 mins till ingredients soften
5. Stirring frequently to avoid the soup sticking to the base of the saucepan
6. Once cooked remove from heat, allow to cool for 10 mins then blend to a smooth consistency
7. Stir in evaporated milk
8. Sprinkle with the bacon pieces
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste
If you are on fluids only – blend the bacon into the soup and don’t forget to thin the soup down with extra water if the consistency is too thick. If you are on normal diet serve with crusty bread and enjoy
Here at The Hospital Group, guidance and specialist advice from our weight loss support team is a fantastic resource available to you as part of your surgery package.
Gastric band patients have the additional support of BandBoozled, an online slimming club for band patients run by Sue and Nic. Enjoy 12 month’s free membership as a new gastric band customers.
There is a wealth of information available, including recipes, meal plans and weekly updates to help you on your journey. There is also a weight login area where you can track your weight and measurements and a Forum where you can talk to others with a gastric band and ask questions.