When it comes to our New Year’s Resolutions, we are going back to basics... starting with breakfast!
Sue and Nic from BandBoozled think that breakfast is essential to get your day off to a healthy start and provide your body with the essential nutrients it needs to function properly. In other words, starting the day with a good, healthy breakfast will give you the energy you need to get going – so, make ensuring you have a good breakfast your resolution in 2019!
If healthy eating and weight loss are on the agenda for the new year, then quick fixes and cheats like skipping meals especially at breakfast won’t do you any good. Breakfast is often referred to as the most important meal of the day, but it can be the most neglected too – we’re so busy that it’s easy to just run out the door in the morning and give breakfast a miss.
Sue and Nic tell us why it’s not a good idea to skip breakfast when we want to lose weight especially if we have a gastric band:
- · Skipping meals may lower your metabolism
- · You will be missing out on vital nutrients and energy
- · You might be more likely to get hungry and snack mid-morning. Quick and easy snack foods tend to be biscuits, chocolate or crisps – convenience foods that are easy to find.
- · Having breakfast will give your band something to work on in the morning rather than having an even longer gap when it’s not in use.
- · If you have an optimally adjusted gastric band then it will be very difficult to get enough nutrients in just 2 meals a day – you need breakfast for fibre, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals. Protein can also be added to a healthy breakfast.
So is there any truth to the phrase “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper” Basically this is implying that you should eat the biggest meal of the day at breakfast time then less food at mealtimes as the day goes on. So, effectively your evening meal should be your smallest meal of the day.
Following weight loss surgery, any large meal generally isn’t recommended so although we agree that having breakfast is important, we wouldn’t necessarily agree with having a large breakfast. It’s better to keep portions sizes small in general but to aim for 3 small, healthy meals daily.
Try our ‘band friendly’ yummy breakfast ideas for some inspiration:
- · A mini “grill” up – made up of spray oil, low-fat bacon, mushrooms, onions served on wholemeal toast and with a few beans (a good one for the weekend)
- · A fruit salad with a dollop of low-fat natural yoghurt and a sprinkle of granola across the top
- · Smoked salmon with a poached egg and mushrooms (a good protein source)
- · Cereal and milk – choose a high fibre crunchy cereal such as shredded wheat, muesli and low-fat milk. You could sprinkle it with blackberries or chopped strawberries for a little extra flavour.
- · A seeded toasted bagel with low-fat cream cheese
- · A slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter
- · A toasted crumpet with low-fat spread
- · Homemade banana pancakes with fruit
- · Grilled, low-fat bacon in a toasted mini wholemeal pitta bread
- · A dry fried egg on a slice of granary toast
- · A breakfast omelette – plain omelette with a sprinkle of low-fat cheese on top
- · Tinned tomatoes and mushrooms on wholemeal toast
- · Low sugar muesli served with fat-free Greek yoghurt topped with blueberries
- · Breakfast wrap – lean grilled bacon and rocket wrapped up in a mini wholemeal wrap
- · Scrambled eggs served on half a toasted wholemeal bagel
Here are their top breakfast tips when you have a gastric band:
- · If you aren’t an early riser, plan what you are having the night before and have everything ready for the morning.
- · If you sleep in or are just running a bit late then at least grab a yoghurt or some fruit and take it with you.
- · If you regularly get to work without breakfast why not keep some breakfast biscuits or a healthy muesli bar in your drawer at work as a last resort
- · Take your multivitamin and mineral supplement along with your breakfast each day so you get into a routine and don’t forget about it.
- · Remember to drink plenty of fluids along the day – you could have a hot drink first thing before your breakfast to lubricate the gastric band and make a start in keeping your fluids up.
- · The band can sometimes feel a bit tighter in the morning – a hot drink can help but you can always have breakfast a little later if you need to.
- · Remember even if you are in a hurry do not forget the 20+ rule – no bigger than a 20p piece sized portion of food on your fork (or spoon), chew at least 20 times, have a 20-second rest between each mouthful of food and stop eating at 20 minutes.
- · Try and add a little fruit to your breakfast where you can – a fab source of vitamins, minerals and fibre yet low in calories and super tasty
So, enjoy a healthy breakfast every morning and set yourself up for the day!
Have you met Sue and Nic from BandBoozled?
As part of your gastric band aftercare package, all our band patients will now benefit from additional support with 12 month’s free membership to UK slimming club BandBoozled. This includes bariatric meal ideas and healthy eating information as well as expert support to help get the most from your gastric band.
More about BandBoozled